Saturday, May 8, 2010

Flexible Edits

1. Truffles: May 7th, 2010: 4:40 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/3.2; 1/640 sec.; SONY DSC-H7; Enhancements: Balanced: Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Saturation

2. Truffles Edited: May 8th, 2010; 6:00 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; Photoshop CS3

Flexible Smart Filters
To get this effect, I first enhanced and balances the levels, brightness/contrast, and saturation/vibrance. Then, I selected the image and made a copy of it. I then converted this image layer to a smart object. This was done by going to Layer-Smart Object-Convert to Smart Object. I then decided to use two different filters. To do this I went to Filter-Sharpen-Smart Sharpen. This enabled me to sharpen the little sprinkles on the truffle in the foreground. I also wanted to enhance the blur in the background, so I went to Filter-Blur-Gaussian Blur. This then burred the whole photo. Because I converted the image to a smart object I was able to go back in and adjust the opacity of each of the filters to get the desired effect. Then, I used the madk that came with the smart object conversion to mask out the truffle that was in the foreground. After clicking on the mask that I wanted to use I selected the brush tool, with a black color and used the brush to take away the filters to that area I wanted to be the focal point of the whole photo. Since I converted the image to a smart object I am able to change my edits in the future according to my needs! How handy is that!

3. Basket of Tomatos: May 7th, 2010: 4:15 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/3.2; 1/200 sec.; SONY DSC-H7; Enhancements: Balanced: Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Saturation

4. Basket of Tomatos Edited: May 8th, 2010; 5:30 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; Photoshop CS3

Adjustment Layers
To get this effect, I first edited the origional photo by adjusting or enhancing the levels, brightness/contrast, and saturation. Once this was done I copied that origional layer, then added an adjustment layer by selected the levels layer. Then, I chose the Multiply Blending Mode. This can be found by going through the list of options in the top left corner of the layers palate. I then adjusted the opacity so that it wasn't so dark. Then, I added a mask to this layer by clicking on the mask option at the bottom of the layers palate. Then, I selected my brush tool with black paint and used that to paint over the tomatos to hide the effect of the adjustment layer and show through the layer underneath. This allowed me to darken the wood basket that I thought added such dimension to the photo, and still keep the beautiful rich red of the tomatos in the foreground that really catches your eye. I took this photo at the farmers market on Friday night. There were lots of booths that were selling plants and a few vegetables.

5 comments:

Lucas Galo said...

Your fake bokeh looks really good. It actually looks like real. It's something hard to do depending on the picture, but you pulled it off.
The basket of tomatoes look a lot more interesting with the levels enhancement.

Caryn said...

I love your shallow cupcake effect with the smart filter and I am glad to see you used the adjustment layer with the multiply blending mode. I would like you to show this in class tomorrow, if possible? Thanks!

Kristen Larson said...

I really enjoyed looking at your photos! The tomato basket looks great with the multiply blending mode, in addition to the burned edges, this edited shot looks fantastic!

SethLofgreen said...

I'm loving the shadows and border on the tomato photo. It really add some great contrast and depth. The gaussian blur on the sweets is super sweet! It seems like every photo I take is a macro some tons of bokeh so I am biased to your cupcake photo. You did a great job with the photos and edits.

Lishelle Simpson said...

I love love love the truffle photo! That looks so great! I love how you blurred all of the other truffles! Great focal point!

Post a Comment